Tuesday 11th January 2022 at 18.30 in the Blencathra Room
PRESENT: Scott Cameron (Chair, SC), Gideon Sharp (GS), David Harding (DH), Dougie Parker (DP), Chris Stockdale (CS), Phil Murfitt (PM)
|APOLOGIES All present.
|ADOPTION OF MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING The minutes of the previous committee meeting held on Wednesday 21stDecember were circulated to all five committee members. The final minutes of the meeting were agreed as a true record of the meeting on Wednesday 19th January and published on Thursday 20th January.
|MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING
i. Gate or barrier on the drive – Gate to be procured in near future as well as fence to protect 4th green. GS provided several gate options the cost for purchase and installation is in the £2000 region. PM proposed that a camera is also installed as a deterrent. GS seconded and costs to be explored.
ii. Scrutiny of the Rules for the Governance of Penrith Golf Club – There was much discussion around this topic and consensus was a full review of out-of-date policies and rules was needed to update. The rules are currently available on the website
A group of members across all sections of the club are to be approached for this review so all sections can have input. Members will be approached, and team set up. Ongoing and not likely to be appointed until after the rescheduled 2021 AGM
|HEALTH AND SAFETY
i. The cellar doorway needs attention and PM is actioning this – Ongoing
No concerns have been reported.
No disciplinaries this month. SC – While there has been no disciplinaries I have noted
that there are some members that are not speaking to members of staff with respect.
All members of staff, contractors and club officers are working for the club and trying their best to provide a good service whether that be the professionals or the catering team. Can I remind everyone that people do not come to work to be talked down to or demanded at and a bit of curtesy goes along way.
i. A letter was received from Dave Harding and at this point DH left the room and the content was discussed. SC is taking this forward with DP.
ii. A letter has been received from the Caterers and this has been dealt with by SC. It was discussed at the meeting that the matter has been resolved informally but the MC will send out letters to formally log this matter.
The AGM and rule change information was discussed. A decision was made for the information to be available from the 25th of January for members to read and discuss. The vote is scheduled to be on the 18th of February for 7 days. Please keep a look out for this into your emails.
The vote will be online as the MC feel that it is more democratic and will allow more of the members to have their vote. Whereas traditionally in person AGM’s have a low attendance this has also been demonstrated across of several Cumbrian golf clubs where they have struggled to meet the minimum number of votes required for them to be passed.
|FINANCIAL TEAM MANAGEMENT
Bank accounts:Current – £165,092
PGC ltd – £15,868
Catering – £2,634.18
Building Society £116.462.18
Savings – £716
Development – £34
A significant number of members have already paid their subs, so thank you to those who have paid. We have also had several new members paying and using the direct debit facility. SC raised concerns around people that have access to club V1. Particularly regarding GDPR and the security of information. This will be discussed in detail at January’s meeting with a view to limit the amount of people who have access to this. We will speak to each group individually to come up with a solution. SC+DP are looking at this and will sort in the coming month and speak to all affected by the changes and look for different solutions for them.
The 4 new buggies will be delivered towards the end of March 2022.
|FACILITIES TEAM MANAGEMENT
i. The cooker is now in place and 3-phase electricity supply is under investigation. PM will provide update at January meeting – Electrician contacted but no date set.
ii. There are a significant number of lights that have blown in the clubhouse PM has costed the number of bulbs required but is also exploring the option of changing to more energy efficient lighting. – 15 of these lights have now been fixed and PM has spoken to a supplier to look at replacing the rest.
iii. A hygiene survey has been carried out and 2 x freezers and 2 x fridges need replacements. Prices have been sought and procurement is underway.
iv. PM is looking at procuring blinds in Blencathra room.
v. The central heating issue has been sorted by PM.
|MARKETING TEAM MANAGEMENT
i. There is now £51,142 in pre bookings for competitions and society days for 2022. This is with no advertising and is expected to increase in the coming months.
ii. The new website is live.
iii. Existing hole sponsors are being contacted to renew contracts that expire on March 31st
iv. There is a NE/NW Pro Series tournament on Monday 25th April.
i. There are 60 + bunkers that need refurbishment these will cost approximately £1500 each. At the moment drainage works are taking priority. Fundraising for bunkers will also be explored.
ii. There is a path from the car park to the buggy park and driving range in development and will hopefully be in place for the spring/summer
iii. Work to start on the 1st drainage this week.
i. The interactive members calendar on the website is now up and running and will provide up to date information on new and rescheduled competitions.
ii. The Directors of Golf are drawing up a plan for the development of the practice facilities
i. GS suggested a defibrillator be added to the Hoggest so that one is more accessible for the whole course. Costs of this to be explored. – Ongoing
ii. The Chairman parking space is to be raffled off in the coming month to raise funds for a project in the club. More information will be sent out via the email system. CS will sort this and details to be sent out soon.
iii. SC suggested we build relationships with other clubs in the town and offer some incentives for them to come up and visit and hopefully attract new members whether that be playing or social.
iv. SC is going to work with caterers to draw up a plan to do some marketing for the residents on the fairways estate and surrounding area.
|Meeting closed at 21.30
DATE, TIME AND VENUE OF NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 8th February at 6.30pm
In the Clubhouse.