A brief overview of the clubs trophies
Father and Son Trophy
Donated by 1988 captain Derek Mattinson this trophy was the result of estimated 50 fathers and sons were members of the club at the time
The Scratch Salver
Donated by David Noble and is awarded to the play returning the best 72 whole score from the qualifying rounds of the club championship and the America Cup
The Simpson Yeates Trophy
Donated by the local jewellers this is a medal event for golfers with a handicap of 18+
Named in honour of the 1963 captain stand Pickering this is an 18 hole competition played with four clubs
The Hanson Trophy
Presented by Brian Hanson in 1981 this trophy is annually presented to the player who by his prowess, sportsmanship or example has been a credit to Penrith Golf Club.
The Mallinson Trophy
Named after long serving committee member Allan Mallinson and played for by golfers over the age of 55.
The Blamire Trophy
First played an 18 old medal in 1971 the format for this trophies now traditionally picked by the current club captain
The Quarry Cup
Stableford competition first played in 1976 the cup was prized presented to the club by good neighbour Mrs huddleston who in hot weather used to leave a jug of water next to the fence behind the 11th green
The KM Graham Memorial Trophy
Keith Graham was an enthusiastic member and treasure of the club from 1961 until his death in December 1968. The trophy was presented by his wife Hazel and his memory. The daffodils next to the 14th T are also planted as a memorial to Keith who collapsed and died on the 13th green
The Makinson Salver
The trophy was presented in 1965 by Mrs Makinson and in memory of her husband Evan who enjoyed many years golfing at Penrith and unfortunately died on the ninth green. The first winner of the salver in 1965 was Chris Balderstone the Carlisle United and England cricketer
The Whitelaw Trophy
Presented to the club in 1964 by then President Willie Whitelaw, the Whitelaw is regarded as the clubs’ blue riband event and is played as an open scratch competition played over 36 holes
The Inglewood Cup
The Lowther Trophy
Donated in 1936 by then President Colonel Lowther it was initially known as the Anthony Lowther Cup
The America Cup
The Rutherford Bowl
The Rutherford Bowl is played as a Sunday fourball better ball competition. It was instigated at the behest of Tony Rutherford’s friend Tony Deal shortly after he left Penrith to become the bank manager of Barclays at Wigton. It has been played for since 1980.
The Q Cup
Traditionally played as a bogey competition on the last Saturday in August the format was changed to an individual Stableford in 2021 due to the loss of popularity in the bogey format.
The Toby Cup
The Toby Cup is traditionally played on the Bank Holiday Monday in August as a 36 hole medal competition. It has been played for since 1925.
The Church Cup
First played for in 1910 the rules for the Church of are still unique among all competitions at the club with a maximum handicap allowance of 18 opponents calculated using 2/3 of the difference in handicaps and the player with the higher handicap commences the 18 hole match with the number of holes up advantage equal to the calculated figure. Thereafter the the winner of each hole is the player with the least gross goal. Players can start with a maximum advantage of nine holes up.
The Club Championship
The Lonsdale Trophy